The School of Arts Royal Conservatoire Antwerp of the Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp is screening the job market for a teaching assignment Professor bass clarinet
1. Screening of the job market
The Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp of the AP University College Antwerpen organizes a screening of the job market for a teaching assignment professor Wind band and Brass band conducting.
2. Qualified persons
Staff members of the Royal Conservatoire – AP University College Antwerpen as well as external persons.
3. Job description
To form creative musicians through individual and group orientated classes, conducting rehearsals, coaching pedagogical projects, research etc.
- has an artistic personality, active as a professional Wind band and Brass band conductor on established international stages with affinity for Wind band, Fanfare and Brass Band,
- has recent experience in the field of orchestral conducting (with honorary/superior rating),
- is proficient in writing adaptations, arrangements and transcriptions for Wind band, Fanfare and Brass Band ensembles (add 3 works in the application file),
- is internationally active or can demonstrate international recognition,
- combines artistic and pedagogical talent and experience and is able to prove his/her pedagogical skills (include supporting documents in the application file),
- shows knowledge of and insight into the international professional field for Wind band, Fanfare and Brass Band,
- uses a broad framework of thinking about Wind band, Fanfare and Brass Band and knows the literature, organology and contemporary and historical repertoire,
- is permanent conductor of a band with honorary/superior rating,
- has an extensive discography as a conductor and/or as an instrumentalist,
- has orchestral experience as a permanent member of a Wind band or Brass Band,
- thinks solution-focused and is a team player,
- shows great enthusiasm which he/she can transmit to the students, puts the students at the center, gives them enough room for personal development and knows how to motivate them
- is flexible and committed,
- is prepared to stimulate artistic research among the students. Research competencies are recommended,
- is interested in deepening the personal artistic practice through performance-oriented research,
- has experience with or is interested in interdisciplinary project work.
- lives or works in Belgium or is willing to work and live in Belgium,
- has close relations to the Belgian music network,
- is willing to cooperate with colleagues in the framework of a pedagogical project,
- is loyal to the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp and AP University College Antwerp,
- has a fluent knowledge of Dutch and English, level C1,
- has good artistic and pedagogical references as well as team player references. Evidence documents must be included in the application file,
- for international candidates: has a work permit for Belgium, this must be included in the application file.
Phase 1 – send in your file:
Interested candidates are requested to submit a file. This file needs to contain the following:
- letter of motivation and curriculum vitae (list of concerts and discography included)
- written out artistic references regarding the international reputation and artistic career as a Wind band and Brass band conductor (letters of reference with coordinates/contact details)
- three adaptations, arrangements or transcriptions for Wind band or Brass band
- proof of Belgian nationality or work permit for Belgium
- pedagogical references (including coordinates / contact details) or evidence of pedagogical assignments, preferably at a higher education institution
- a memo on the personal vision of the artistic-pedagogical project that one wishes to realise at the Royal Conservatoire Antwerp.
Phase 2 – first selection based on file:
A first selection by the Artistic board of the Music department takes place based on the submitted file: the artistic board can decide to involve additional experts to make this selection.
Phase 3 – screening test on February 22nd 2021:
Selected candidates are invited to participate in a screening test, which will be evaluated by a screening commission with internal and external experts. Candidates must be available throughout the day.
1st part of the day:
- The candidate conducts the Wind band of RCA and gives a public lesson to a master student Wind Band and Brass Band conducting while working with the band.
2nd part of the day:
- The candidate gives a public lesson to a bachelor student Introduction to Wind Band and Brass Band conducting, working with a sound or video recording.
- The jury interviews all candidates separately on the motivation, the repertoire, the view on the methodology of study and on the contents and the structure of the curriculum, the evaluation of the students, concerts, a case study, etc.
The following elements will be considered for the ranking of the candidates by the commission:
- the file submitted
- the public lesson
- the pedagogical experience
- the interview
- the conducting test
- the artistic personality
The screening commission writes a motivated report on the result of the screening and this contains the ranking of the candidates.
Phase 4 – possible employment:
On the basis of the results of this screening, the artistic board will investigate the possibilities for a possible employment (guest professor status) and will conduct the necessary dialogues in that regard. If this results in an employment, the candidate will be offered a remuneration as a guest professor. The volume of this contract (amount of employment) will be calculated based on the number of students so also the salary will be calculated depending on the effective number of students.
6. Practical information
Interested persons are requested to submit a file (description see point 5 phase 1) by mail to email@example.com before January 24th 2021 at 23:59 o’clock.
Additional information is available with Inge Simoens, Head of Classical Music. firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +32 473 86 22 02.
More information on the Music department can be found on https://ap-arts.be/en/education/music.
The screening regulations (Dutch) can be consulted here.