Extra Academy organizes an open program of lectures, performances, workshops and screenings around artistic practice, reflection and research.
Extra Academy is an alliance between the Royal Academy of Fine Arts Antwerp and Sint Lucas School of Arts, curated by artists Nico Dockx and Steve Van den Bosch.
The platform that they offer, is one where participants become acquainted with practices and visions that are hardly or not at all addressed in the media or art education. In this way they aspire to create a much broader picture of the stratification and rich complexity of what contemporary artistic practice can mean in dialogue with, among other things, art-historical, socio-political, philosophical and economic implications.
Extra Academy is being held at Het Bos, Ankerrui 5-7, 2000 Antwerpen.
The program is announced in the calendar and at the Art & Research Facebook page.
Almost 70 Extra Academies have already taken place, since 2011 at Kunsthal Extra City and since 2018 at Het Bos.
View the full archive here:
#1 to #54
#55 to today
- 7 October: book presentation Extra Academy (celebrating ten years Extra Academy) at Het Bos + special guest
- 28 October: Laure Prouvost (+ students RAFA: Emma Johnson, Maria Sawizki, Lucia Mrakovcic / RCA: Jenna Vergeynst, Alex Smith, Francisco Rojas Huertas / under guidance of Nico Dockx, Eric Thielemans, Frank Agsteribbe and with cooking experiment by Charlotte Koopman)
- 4 November: Liesje De Laet (CHT collective)
- 9 December: Andrew Chi
- TBC - January 13 - 20 or 27th: Merlin Sheldrake
- 24 February: Eric Thielemans (+ concert)
- TBC - March 10 - 17 - 24 - 31st: Bruno Zhu
- 21 April: Brandon LaBelle (+ workshop on listening with Sarah Vanhee & Jasmeen Patheja)
- 19 May: Orlando Maaike Gouwenberg