To enroll in a bachelor programme at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts you have to meet certain conditions, and pass the entrance exam.
You should be in possession of at least one of the following diplomas:
- a degree in Secondary Education, awarded by the Flemish Government
- a degree in Higher Education
- a degree or certificate that is being acknowledged as equal by law, degree, European guideline or any other international agreement.
Please note! The Dutch degrees MBO4 and HAVO are not sufficient!
Here are some of the European degrees that are sufficient:
- European “Baccalaureaat Diploma”, awarded by the European schools in Belgium or abroad;
- “Diplôme du baccalauréat international”, awarded by the Office du Baccalauréat International in Geneva;
- Luxemburg’s "diplôme de Fin d’Etudes secondaires" or "diplôme de Fin d’Etudes secondaires techniques";
- Dutch diploma “Voorbereidend wetenschappelijk onderwijs” (VWO);
- Dutch “Getuigschrift van met goed gevolg afgelegd propaedeutisch examen”;
- French diploma " Baccalauréat" with a minimum score of 10/20;
- German diploma “Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife/Abitur”;
- “High school diploma” (USA) with a ‘record of transcript’, that contains at least 4 APs (Advanced Placements);
- diploma awarded by the SHAPE-school (NAVO);
Students from outside the European Union need to apply for a certificate from their Embassy that states that the said secondary/high school diploma grants access to a University in the country where it was obtained. For more information concerning conditions of admission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Language requirement for enrolment in the English-taught bachelor programme
To enroll in the English-taught bachelor and master programme in Visual Arts, under any type of contract whatsoever, you need to prove having sufficient knowledge of the English language. This can be done in different ways:
- by submitting proof of having an ASO-degree (Flemish prospective students) or a VWO diploma (Dutch prospective students);
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed at least one year of English-taught secondary education;
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed a study programme or one or more course units with a total study load of at least 60 ECTS credits in English-language higher education;
- or by providing a language certificate.
The required level of English proficiency is determined according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). Your language certificate must demonstrate that you possess the B1 level.
English language tests can be taken at Linguapolis (Interuniversity Test of Academic English (ITACE), but they can also be taken in other language centres in Flanders or in your home country.
Language requirement for enrolment in the Dutch-taught bachelor programme
To enroll in the Dutch-taught bachelor and master programme in Visual Arts, under any type of contract whatsoever, you need to prove having sufficient knowledge of the Dutch language. This can be done in different ways:
- by submitting proof of having successfully completed at least one year of Dutch-taught secondary education;
- or by submitting proof of having successfully completed a study programme or one or more course units with a total study load of at least 60 ECTS credits in Dutch-taught higher education;
- or by submitting proof of having passed the Interuniversity Language Test Dutch for Foreigners (ITNA) or another proof from an adult education center or recognized language center.
The Interuniversity Language Test Dutch for Foreigners (ITNA) was developed by the language centers of four Flemish universities, and can be taken at Linguapolis:
The required level of Dutch proficiency is determined according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference). Your language certificate must demonstrate that you possess the B2 level.
Required for ALL foreign students
All foreign students that reside in Belgium during their studies will need a valid Belgian residence card for the duration of the academic year.
Once you are in Antwerp, you will have to register officially for the Belgian government. Please contact the student administration office (email@example.com +32 3 213 71 00) as soon as possible so that an appointment can be made at the International Student Office in Antwerp for you.
In the PDF document of the International Student Office you can find all the details about the documents and information you need to provide.
If you commute from your country every day and don't have a residence in Belgium, a statement saying you will commute every day is sufficient.
Required for non-EU students only
Before the entrance exam: Short term visa
You apply for the bachelor artistic entrance examination or you apply for the master application procedure. You will receive a confirmation form via e-mail. You take this confirmation form to the Belgian Embassy in your country to apply for your short term visa (tourist visa).
After the entrance exam: Long term visa
The student administration can deliver on demand an official letter which confirms that you have passed the artistic entrance examination. You can take this official letter, to the Belgian Embassy in your country to apply for your long term student Visa. If this document is not sufficient for the embassy in your country, you can receive an official document of full enrolment only after payment of your tuition fee.
The bachelor in Visual Arts is only available to people who have passed the artistic entrance examination. You'll find the content of the entrance exam here.
The entrance exam is held twice per academic year, and is always spread over two calendar days.
July 2 and 3, 2018 - two-day examination, deadline registration 1st session = June 28, 2018
September 3 and 4, 2018 - two-day examination, deadline registration 2nd session = August 28, 2018
ATTENTION: Non EU residents are advised to take the examination in July because of the visa procedure.
For participation in the artistic entrance examination, we ask a fee of €25 via online payment only during registration through the link below. This needs to be paid 3 days prior to the admission test at the latest, and will not be refunded.