The School of Arts Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp of the AP University College Antwerp has an open vacancy for the position of:
teaching assignment Piano Professor (classical music)
Application deadline: 7 January 2024 // Starting date: September 2024
Screening of the job market
The Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp of the AP University College Antwerp organizes a screening of the job market for the teaching assignment Piano Professor (classical music).
Who can apply?
This is an open screening, in other words, staff members of the Royal Conservatoire – AP University College Antwerp as well as external individuals are welcome to apply.
To train creative musicians through individual and group-oriented classes, rehearsals, pedagogical projects, research, etc.
- is an artistic personality, established both nationally as well as internationally, as a soloist and chamber musician.
- has preferably an affinity with other keyboard instruments
- has an extensive list of recordings as a pianist
- is interwoven or has close relations with the Belgian music scene and is acquainted with the Belgian educational system
- has relevant artistic and pedagogical references as a team player (evidence must be enclosed in the application)
- combines artistry with pedagogical talent and can demonstrate his/her pedagogical skills (please include supporting documents as part of your application)
- is open to collegial cooperation in the context of pedagogical projects
- shows great enthusiasm, which is passed on to the students
- is experienced in or open to interdisciplinary project collaboration
- is interested in deepening his/her artistic practice through academic research and is prepared to stimulate artistic research among students
- allows sufficient room for self-development of the students and motivates them
- is flexible and committed
- lives or works in Belgium or is willing to work in Belgium
- is committed to the philosophy of the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp AP University College
- has a fluent knowledge of Dutch and English or is willing to become proficient in both
- for international candidates: has a European nationality or has a work permit for Belgium (proof of this must be submitted in the application)
Selection criteria - Procedure
Phase 1 – please send in your application by January the 7th, 2024 (9.00 a.m.)
Interested candidates are requested to submit:
- a letter of motivation
- curriculum vitae, including a list of concerts and recordings
- three written artistic references relating to the appearance and artistic career as an pianist (i.e. letters of recommendation)
- proof of European nationality or work permit for Belgium
- some written pedagogical references or proof of pedagogical assignments, preferably at higher education level
- a teaching statement (max 2 pages (A4)) on the candidate’s personal vision regarding the artistic-pedagogical trajectory they wish to realize within the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp
Phase 2 – first selection based on application
A first selection by the Artistic board of Classical Music will take place based on the submitted documentation: the artistic board can decide to involve additional experts to make this selection.
Phase 3 – screening on March the 4th and 5th 2024
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in a screening test, which will be evaluated by a commission comprising internal and external experts. The screening consists of:
- a public recital (30'): performance of works or excerpts of choice to demonstrate the artistic personality of the candidate
- a public lesson with 2 students of different level and with different repertoire
- an interview that will include, but not be limited to, the written motivation, the chosen compositions, the piano repertoire, the view on the study methodology and the content and structure of the curriculum, the evaluation of students, (class) concerts, a case study, etc.
The following components will be considered for the ranking of the candidates by the commission:
- the submitted application
- the public lessons
- the pedagogical experience
- the interview
- the recital
- the artistic personality
The screening commission will write a motivated report on the result of the screening, and this will contain the ranking of the candidates.
Phase 4 – possible employment
Based on the results of this screening, the artistic board will consider the opportunities for a possible employment and will conduct the necessary negotiations in that regard.
If this results in employment, the candidate will be offered a remuneration as a guest professor. The assignment volume of this contract (amount of employment) will be calculated based on the number of students: depending on the actual number of students enrolled in the class, the salary will be calculated proportionally.
If no candidates apply for this screening, or if none of the candidates applied are ranked by the screening commission, or if the interviews for possible employment do not result in a positive recommendation, the artistic staff can initiate employment interviews with a candidate lecturer outside this screening procedure to temporarily fill in the vacancy.
In that case, the external candidate-teacher will be evaluated at the end of the academic year, with the assessment proceeding in accordance with (phase 3 of) the usual screening procedure.
Interested candidates are requested to submit an application (description: see phase 1) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before January the 7th, 2024 (9.00 a.m.).
Further inquiries should be directed to:
Stephanie Proot, member Artistic Staff Classical Music, email@example.com